Thursday, November 1, 2012

Bake Sales and Owl Pops


Happy November!  Today is the first day of NaBloPoMo!  To kick off this worthy endeavor, I'm starting out with owl pops.  Are these owl pops completely one of the cutest things you've ever seen?  Well, maybe not cutest ever... but I thought they turned out pretty adorable. 

Tomorrow, my work is having a bake sale to help raise money to support the local chapter of the United Way.  I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to make these adorable little pops, since not only are they fall festive (thus meaning they needed to be made, bake sale or not) , but they will be going to help out a good cause as well. 

When I originally decided to contribute something to the bake sale, I searched high and low on pinterest to find an idea of some sort of fall idea that was unique enough that it wouldn't get lost in the sea of goodies I expect to abound tomorrow at work, but something that was relatively simple as well.  This is when I stumbled across these jewels.  They originally were done by Bakerella in her book, but I found them on Ms. Fox's Sweets.  One look at these, and I was sold.  Owl pops were going to the bake sale.

The first thing I did to get these little guys going was to collect all the ingredients used in them.


I used a box mix of cake and canned frosting, since I didn't want to invest too much time in them in case they turned out hideous.  I also used Dark Chocolate Candy Melts, Reese's pieces, Candy necklaces, chocolate chips, orange sprinkles, and flower sprinkles.

Bake the cake following the directions on the box.  Any homemade recipe would work too if you prefer to not use a box.  Once the cake is baked and cooled, crumble it up until it is just a bowl of fine crumbs (A crummy cake is a good cake).


Then add about 2 tablespoons of frosting to the crummy cake and mix it until the cake forms a sort of dough almost.  Once the cake has reached a dough consistency, it is ready to be formed into the owls.  I used a sort of triangular shape for the owls body/head.  It really doesn't need to be perfect, the candy coating will cover any little lumps or bumps. 


Then add chocolate chips to the top corners of the owl bodies.  These can be 'glued' on with a small amount of melted candy coating.  This will end up being their ears when it is all said and done. Then dip the lollipop stick tips into the melted candy coating and stick them into the owl bodies.  Then refrigerate for a few minutes to help the candy firm up. 
While the owl pops are in the fridge, get out the chocolate candy coating and melt it.  It should be thin with no lumps in it.  When the candy coating is all melted, bring the cake pops out of the fridge.  Using a spoon, carefully pour the chocolate coating over each owl pop until there is a solid coating all around the cake.  Once the cake pop is coated, put in a cake pop stand (Styrofoam or a box with holes in it would work as well) until the candy coating is firm and dry to the touch.


Once the cake pops are dry to the touch, line them up on a cookie sheet.  Using a clean paint brush, dip the wrong side of the brush into the candy coating and use that to glue on the candy necklace pieces (for eyes), the Reese's pieces (wings) the candy sprinkles (the nose), and the flower sprinkles (the feet).


Once all the owls have all of their pieces 'glued' on, let them dry and then package or store them however you plan on keeping them!


I am so excited to bring these to the bake sale; although I'm not sure how I feel about them actually being eaten.  I suppose that is to be their owl fate though.

How about you?  Have you ever tried making cake pops?  How did they turn out?  Have you ever made character/animal cake pops?

 I'd love to see pictures of your baking creations!

Are you new to Angela, Herself?  Feel free to follow me on facebook or by email!
(Linking this up over at Mandatory Mooch's Tasty Thursday, and onto "Your Great Idea" Link up Or So She Says...)

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea and tutorial! I would love to have you come share some of your great ideas at the link party on ‘Or so she says…' There’s one going on right now (and every Saturday – Tuesday). We’ve also got a fun “Favorite Things” giveaway going on right now. Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Angela...these look like so much fun. Very creative!! I love this post so much that I'm going to FEATURE it on Tasty Thursdays this week. Thanks for sharing. The party will be live tonight!! Nichi
    www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up! Hope to see you again this week. www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete