Tuesday, October 30, 2012

NaNoWriMo... or NaBloPoMo



November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).  It happens every year.  While I've never actually participated in this self imposed writing sentence, I find the idea of a self imposed deadline to write a novel (or at least 50,000 words) interesting.  Working under that type of pressure to just force yourself to basically vomit words onto paper to create a novel, with all the flawed chunks, a story with all the raw edges/details.  The people who can do this, in my mind, are pretty amazing. 

I am not a writer.  I enjoy telling stories, and sometimes, they even may be slightly entertaining, but I can't imagine writing a cohesive story that is more than a blog post or two long, but then I stumbled across, thanks to Untypically Jia, NaBloPoMo.  What is NaBloPoMo you say?

NaBloPoMo is basically NaNoWriMo but for blog posts.  It is a self challenge to write a blog post every day of the month.  To just get something out there, whether its a personal story, a post of pictures, or just anything.  To just expel onto paper (or in this case a web page) something.  It may not be great, it may have some raw edges, but something to get the creative ideas flowing.

I think I may try this thing out.  The whole writing everyday thing is a challenge to me.  I don't always know what to write about or even feel like I have anything interesting to say.  Sometimes life gets in the way (like recently) of being able to get anything down, even if it is swirling around in my head.  Whatever I come up with,  I probably/certainly will be using writing prompts from Mama Kat's Writing Workshop.

I may not post something everyday, but I think I'm going to attempt to at least write everyday, even if it's a partial post or jotting down ideas... 

Hopefully some interesting fodder will come from this endeavor.

So what about you?  Is anyone else going to be joining in the NaNoWriMo or the NaBloPoMo?  Or are there any other self imposed deadlines you put on yourself that are similar to NaNoWriMo?  Or do you have any writing prompt/blog post ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I got your back if you got mine. My goal per day is 1667 words. I've been doing finger stretches and digit exercises in preparation.

    Let's do this!

    ReplyDelete