Saturday, August 4, 2012

Something New Saturday: Homemade Poptarts


I don't know about your family, but I know in mine, one of my kids favorite snacks/treats/morning on the go breakfast is Poptarts.  Those delicious little pastries frosted with sugar and filled with high fructose corn syrup and who knows what else.  When we have these in our pantry, they disappear like they are going out of style.  Due to this predicament, and the fact that they are completely not healthy for you at all, I decided to test out a new recipe I found for Homemade Poptarts.

This recipe actually only had a few ingredients and was actually really simple.  It used whole wheat flour, butter, sea salt, yogurt (I used Greek yogurt since it has more protein in it than regular), and jelly (Great way to use some of the homemade jelly that has been whipped up in my kitchen lately).

The first step was to mix up the dough for the poptarts.  Measuring out the flour, salt, yogurt, and melted butter, dump them all in a bowl and mix until everything is all good and mixed.  Then, knead the dough a few times to show it who's boss (and to make it workable).



 After the dough is ready to be worked with (it's been kneaded into submission), roll the dough out onto a well floured surface. 


The dough should be rolled pretty thin.  The original recipe I used said that they made about 15-20 poptarts, but I only got 8 out of the batch so I may have rolled mine too thick.  I'd say it was about 1/4" thick, so maybe try slightly thinner if you want to get more poptarts per batch.  After the dough is all rolled out, cut into a rectangular shape.  Try to keep them roughly the same size.  This will facilitate the sealing process once the filling has been put into the pastries.


Next, put the jelly of your choice onto half of the cut out rectangles.  I used blueberry and cherry jelly on the ones I made, but it really is up to you.  I think cinnamon and sugar would be pretty tasty as well.   Once half of the rectangles are jammed up, put an unjammed rectangle on top of it and seal the edges shut.  Then place the sealed pastries onto a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until they are golden brown.


Then remove from the oven.  Once they are out of the oven, you can enjoy immediately, or they can be frozen for later use too.  They toast up great in the toaster.

Now onto the reviews:

Ashton said that these poptarts are pretty tasty.  He said that the blueberry ones were very good and that he thinks that they should be packed into his school lunches once he goes back to school.

Sydney straight up refused to eat them.  She said that they looked gross.  I think the lack of shiny wrappers sort of was a turn off for her.

Personally, I thought that they tasted good.  They weren't exactly like a poptart, but a decent substitute.  While I can see myself making these occasionally, they were a little labor intensive for only 8 poptarts.  I may stick to buying them for now.  Or perhaps I'll try another recipe to see if it yields better results (appeal wise with Sydney as well as quantity wise for myself).

Have you ever tried making homemade poptarts?  If so, how did they turn out? 

Here's the recipe I tried, in case you want to give it a whirl ☺

Homemade Healthy Poptarts
from Heavenly Homemakers Blog

3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup melted butter
1 cup plain yogurt
About 5 ounces fruit jelly or jam

Begin by mixing the flour, salt, butter, and yogurt.

Knead the dough just a little bit to make it nice and workable.  Roll out the dough on a large, well floured surface.  Use a knife to cut the dough into the desired poptart size you would like.

Place about 1/2 tsp. of jelly on half of the dough rectangles.  Spread the jelly around, leaving the edges free.  Find a second rectangle that closely matches with each jellied one.  Place it on top and use a fork to seal the edges.

Lay each poptart in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.

Then remove from oven and enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment