Tuesday, August 28, 2012

First Day of School


The first day of school has come to be a bittersweet experience for me.  While I rejoice in the fact that my little boy is growing up to be such a caring and wonderful person full of integrity, deep down my heart aches that he is already becoming such a big little person.

Today there while dropping Ashton off, there was a parent teacher meeting type session the first hour of school.  I met his teacher (Mrs. Stewart - she seemed really sweet), and she let us know what she expects of the kiddos and the whole discipline system (sorta like the whole pirate black spot thing, except they death is not the sentence...at least not at the hands of the school), if they get multiple warnings (yellow and red card) and if they get to the black card, the parents are called.


Mrs. Stewart also went over the homework expectations and the general things that they will be working on.  She also let us know lunch is at 11:30 everyday for the rascals.  (On a side note, I'm going to be keeping a picture journal of Ashton's lunches, in an effort to keep them varied, and in case I run out of ideas ☺.  You can find them here)  Here's Ashton's first ever school lunch:

The classic PB&J, blueberries, honey wheat crackers, sugar cookies, and juice
Unfortunately, Ashton's sandwich was in a separate pocket from the rest of his food.  He didn't realize that there were two pockets on his lunch box, so he thought he only had crackers, cookies, and blueberries.  Luckily another child in his class was nice enough to share his sandwich with him.  Poor kid, he asked his dad when he got him if I was mad at him.  I think we will have to pack his lunch together next time☺.

After this, she read "The Kissing Hand" by Audrey Penn.


If you haven't read this book, it is very cute.  It is basically about the little raccoon having to go to school so the mama raccoon kisses his hand so he'll always have her/her love with him, even while he's not with her. 
 
 
Then it was time to say good-bye to the kids so they can finish their day.  The kids lined up outside where the parents can pick them up after school.  Then Ashton kissed my palm, and told me he loves me. 
 
 

Why is it that even when you know it's not good-bye forever (only a few hours), it still is hard to say good-bye?  Maybe it has to do with the whole feeling of saying good-bye to the little pre-school portion of Ashton that has me wishing I could hang on a little longer.  The fact that he is at school all day this year really just makes him getting older hit home.
 

They grow up so fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment