Saturday, July 7, 2012

Something New Saturday: Mexican Chicken Breasts


Recently, I've been toying with the idea of trying a new recipe every week, whether it's a main dish, a side recipe, or even a dessert.  I think this is a great way to try new recipes to mix it up a little in our weekly meals, as well as gives me some new experiences in the kitchen instead of just cooking what I am familiar with.

Today was the first day of my self-imposed cooking challenge.  The recipe I settled on for the week as the newbie was Mexican Chicken Breasts.  This recipe was actually suggested by a reader as a great way to use some of the chicken my family had purchased from Zaycon Foods.  I figured this would be a good starter recipe as it looked pretty simple to make, as well as it's chicken, and my picky children love chicken.  So with no further ado.... let's get started.

Here are the ingredients


The recipe called for one pound of chicken, but you probably could have used more with the same amount of other ingredients.  Other than that, I used a packet of taco seasoning, sour cream, and salsa. 

First, I put both the taco seasoning and the chicken into a bag and closed the top.

**Shake, Shake, Shake**

**Shake, Shake, Shake**

After making sure all the chicken had been coated with some seasoning, I put the chicken into a 13x9 pan.


This went into the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.  When there was about 10 minutes left on the timer, I put some salsa onto the chicken. (I actually only put salsa on two pieces, my kids don't eat spicy food)

After the timer went off, I removed the chicken from the oven, and topped it with a dollop of sour cream on each piece.


After that was the moment of truth:  How did it taste?  Meet my taste testers:
Ashton: 6 years old, loves chicken, hates vegetables and new foods.
This child is probably the pickiest of the bunch.

Sydney:  4 years old, loves chicken, vegetables, and pretty much
whatever is served up.  She is easy to please.
Ashton:  "The chicken is pretty good; it tastes like taco chicken."

Sydney:  "Mmmm, tastes like chicken and flies."

I really wasn't sure what Sydney meant by flies, as I have never served flies for dinner.... she may have been saying rice as she had rice right next to the chicken.

I thought the chicken had a really good flavor.  Just like Ashton said, it tasted like taco chicken.  The salsa added just the right amount of heat and the sour cream added a creamier texture to it.  I'm thinking this one is a keeper and will be added to our menu more often.

So who's up to joining the challenge?  Do you have suggestions for new items we should test out next?  What new foods have you and your family experimented with lately?

Mexican Chicken Breasts
from food.com

1 (1 1/4 oz.) pkg. taco seasoning
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup salsa
1/4 cup sour cream

Place chicken breasts and taco seasonings in a sealable plastic bag; shake to coat well.

Spray casserole dish with Pam; place breasts in casserole dish.

Bake chicken for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.  Top with salsa about 5-10 minutes before breasts are done cooking.

Top with sour cream before serving.






No comments:

Post a Comment