Saturday, July 14, 2012

Something New Saturday: Cherry and Apricot Muffins


This week, I originally planned on testing out the Six Sister's Stuff Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken, and I did:  you can check it out here.  But I realized this afternoon that I had a bunch of cherries and a few apricots that were getting pretty ripe in the fridge.  I decided to make muffins with them. 

First, I pitted all of the cherries and apricots that were called for in the recipe.  This took sort of awhile since I don't have a cherry pitter, as well as my fingers were stained pretty pink for a few hand washings too.

Once all of the fruit was pitted, I chopped it up into small chunks.  I also chopped up some pecans and set them and the fruit on the side in a bowl.


Next, I mixed together all of the dry ingredients.  Then I added all of the wet ingredients.


Stir these together only enough to dampen the flour (batter should not be smooth).  Then add the chopped fruit and nuts. 


Then I spooned the batter into lined muffin pans.  Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes in a 375 degree oven.


Let the muffins cool completely before attempting to take them out of the wrapper - otherwise they tend to stick a bit to the paper.  Then enjoy!


My thoughts on these little delicacies?  Melt in your mouth good.  They were super fruity, which is a trait I look for in a muffin, as well as they were still uber moist.  The breading was not too sweet, so it didn't taste so much like a dessert as some muffin recipes I've tried in the past.  The recipe made 24 muffins total.  I kept 8 out for breakfast the next few days, I packaged and froze 12 of the muffins.  I'm almost ashamed to admit, that the other 4 disappeared before I could do anything else with them (excuse me, as I wipe muffin crumbs off my keyboard ☺).  Most definitely a great way to start of the day, or keep it going mid-afternoon, or to end it!

Cherry and Apricot Muffins
adapeted from Cucina Nicolina Blog

2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups cherries, pitted and chopped
1 cup apricots, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease or line muffin pan.

Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar in a large bowl.  Add the egg, milk, vanilla, and oil, stirring only enough to dampen the flour (batter should not be smooth).  Add the chopped cherries, apricots, and pecans and mix lightly.  Spoon batter into the muffin pan, filling each cup about two-thirds full.

Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned.





No comments:

Post a Comment