Sunday, June 3, 2012

Canadian Pork Pie

Yesterday, I had originally planned to make a dish that my family has been eating for supper, since I was a little girl, called Canadian Pork Pie.  I dropped the ball, and we ended up eating stroganoff instead.

Even though I did not make this dish as originally planned, I thought I would post the recipe anyways.  It is a delicious dish, and not one that I think many people have tried.  I do not remember where this recipe originally came from, so I have not cited a source. 

Go ahead and make it, and I believe that you won't be disappointed, it is a very savory dish that pairs perfectly with some sweet corn and a glass of wine.



Canadian Pork Pie


1 lb. Ground pork
½ lb. Ground beef
1 med. Onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
½ cup water
1 ½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Dried thyme
¼ tsp. Sage
¼ tsp. Black pepper
1/8 tsp. Ground cloves
Egg pastry
Heat all ingredients except pastry to boiling, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat.  Cook until meat is light brown but still moist, about 5 minutes.  Prepare pastry.  Heat the oven to 425 degrees.  Pour meat into pastry lined pan.  Cover w/top crust.  Cover edges with a three-inch wide strip of foil.  Remove foil during the last fifteen minutes of baking.  Bake until brown, approximately 35-40 minutes.  Let stand ten minutes before cutting. 

Egg Pastry

2/3 cup shortening
2 Tbsp. Shortening
2 cups flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 Egg, slightly beaten
2-3 Tbsp. Cold water
Cut all shortening into flour and salt.  Mix egg and 2 Tbsp. Water.  Stir into flour mix (Add remaining water) Gather pastry into ball.  Divide into two halves and shape into two flattened rounds.  Roll into piecrusts.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment